Sunday, June 13, 2010


With the school year winding down at a rapid speed sometimes the act of getting there seems daunting. Kids are ready for summer as are their teachers, but it just doesn't seem to come quite quick enough. Friday brought a little taste of 'crazy train central,' but we managed as we usually do.

But as the clock hit 2:44 there was an overwhelming surge of Friday goodness that hit the air. I headed over to our annual softball game with a number of fellow teachers and it was a great time to unwind, laugh and be together. Saturday the fam headed over to Philly for a wedding. Although I do embrace the flip flop mentality, it is nice once and awhile to do the dress up thing. I'd have to say we represented pretty well on the dance floor & it was a whole heap of fun being together.

Sometimes I forget how jam packed my life can be, but that is in a very full, rich sense that I am very grateful for. From tail gating in Philly before soaking in the tunes of James Taylor & Carol King, to family time and our first annual Philly Full Fledge Feed at Seneca - it seems life is brimming with richness and events that leave me so frequently speechless.

Last week we rolled into Philly with two buses jam packed with 60 kids, staff and a whole lot of pb & j sandwiches. Many of these guys had never been to Philly and here they are now smack dab in the middle of Love Park handing out sandwiches, clothing and compassion to over 100 individuals without homes. Having the opportunity to watch these young people's eyes open before me gave me chills.

We take so much of what we have for granted on a daily basis; there is so much excess that is more want than need. These young kids took time after school hours to give of themselves and I feel, in my heart, they will never be the same. It was not about pity, but compassion. It was not out of obligation, but desire. My hope that these action will not stop after one experience, but will be contagious and a drive to make this a part of their life style will impact people for years to come. How awesome is that?

No comments: