Sunday, November 14, 2010

I had the opportunity to head up to Bayonne right after work on Friday. When I was a little kid weekends, summer and holidays brought with it uncles, aunts, cousins and distant relatives. Since college it has felt like the connection that once was has lessened and family gatherings have become limited to weddings and funerals. I guess it's a sign of our society. I consider myself partly to blame within my own extended family. Maybe I just got caught up in the responsibilities of life, work and my own thing. I'm not sure how to change the tide at this point, but part of me finds a little bit of what was when I roll back into Bayonne.
Over the next few months I hope to rekindle the connection I once had with my cousin, Jenna. I hope as she begins the transition from high school to college and beyond that I can play a role in the chapters of life that lie ahead of her instead of merely being caught up to speed at the next wedding or family function. So maybe that means more treks to Bayonne, going from text to phone call and pursuing a relationship that will require effort on both parts. I think that's a pretty solid goal.
And in the midst of strengthening the extended family tree, it is often my gatherings with dear friends that keep this heart uplifted and attaining a sense of comradery that can only be found in ventures with the girls. There is something unique and precious when it comes to friendship, good conversation and the ability to laugh until you cry or wet yourself. Yup, friendship is good for the soul and as we press on towards another year I'm going to keep running strong with that one.

Web Counter
Free Counter

No comments: