Monday, November 22, 2010

Drug Squad heads south

It's Monday evening & as I sit at the computer typing utter exhaustion is setting in, but I wanted to take the time to reflect a bit before my head hits the pillow tonight. The past 72 hours have been a whirl wind that leaves my eyelids heavy, but my heart rejuvenated.
This weekend marked the sixth annual Drug Squad retreat where 28 teenagers boarded a yellow bus at Seneca bound for the Lawler Farm in Greenbay, Va. It's hard to believe that this was the sixth year, but each set of teens who make the trek each year brings new challenges, experiences and lessons to be learned.

One of the things I focused on this year was establishing a view of people in a way that adhered to my ever so cliche, 'judge free zone' mentality. We are very quick to make assumptions, judgement calls and attach labels to people within a matter of minutes and having nothing to really substantiate this with. It was amazing to witness 28 sets of eyes connect this reality (the fact is we are all, to some degree, guilty of false assumptions) among their peers. When we keep our eyes and ears closed off to listening to the passions, struggles and life stories of others we miss out on some potentially amazing relationships.
I am very proud of these kids & their determination to make an impact on those around them. Seventeen and eighteen year old kids with a degree of heart, integrity and empathy that leaves me in awe. Even though I didn't even make it to bed until after 3 in the morning and rolled back out a mere 3.5 hours later, it is so very worth it. I feel blessed to have the opportunities that I do to work with the hearts of kids that are the future. There's something pretty special about seeing the fire in their eyes and drive to truly change the world for the better. These young people challenge me to be a better person and reassure me that ears are listening and hearts are opening in a way that will, in many ways, change the world.

No comments: