Monday, May 27, 2013

Never Forget


This weekend can easily be overshadowed by barbeques, pool openings and parades. It's convenient to forget, but our duty to remember.
My Dad represents what this country was based upon: faith, honor and respect. It's easy to overlook that our parents were young once, carry stories, loves and losses. As I watched my Father place the names of men he lost, letter by letter, honoring them in his own way it made my heart ache. In silence he kneeled spelling out names and holding back tears. I can't wrap my head arund the thousand things he was thinking of and memories that he was recalling. 
His best friend lost his life in Vietnam and there are so many other faces and names that he holds within his heart. How many faces, stories that have been lost since the foundation of our country? Countless who stood, fought and suffered the ultimate sacrifice. May we never forget. Freedom is not free. It never has been and it never will be. 

I am thankful not only for those who served, but I am so grateful for those who refuse to forget and do not view today as a celebration, but rather a day to pause, reflect and never forget. 
Thank you, Dad, for constantly reminding me what today and so many others are really about.

No comments: