Monday, November 17, 2014

Another Retreat in the books



Ten years ago the first Drug Squad Retreat was held at Camp Ockanickon. At the time I had a bunch of ideas, visions and goals without grasping what the program would eventually blossom into. I am in awe of the students that have gone through this program, the risks they have been willing to take and the growth that has occured on both an individual and group level. I'm honored to say that I have witnessed lives and hearts change in some dynamic ways. 

Witnessing kids taking a step in trusting their peers, allowing their personal challenges to be funneled to help others and to assume the title of a role model within their school is nothing short of  amazing. After three and a half intense days I am left exhausted, inspired and humbled.

For the past seven years the retreat has been held on my parent's farm. The intention was to provide an informal, personal experience detached from the world back home. We're away from cell phones, face book and the obligations of home. The really cool aspect of this is having experienced all of this goodness with my parents, sister and my nephews. Tristan and Gabe have not only met some amazing kids, but this is now something they have pretty much had in their lives since birth. I love that.

I'm not at the point of wrapping my head around what next year holds, but instead I will just soak in what the last four days have held. I feel profoundly blessed to be a part of something that is nothing short of epic. Drug Squad Retreat 2014...bam!

No comments: