Saturday, November 29, 2008

Giving thanks

Sitting on the train travelling south bound Thursday to Virginia everything within me was overly anxious to be in the presence of family. The past few weeks have been somewhat taxing on both my mind and spirit with obligations and responsibilities pulling me in what seems to be a million directions. I've been weary on many levels and it goes beyond simply taking a few deep breathes or taking a long run. 


As the weekend draws to a close I can say with confidence that these past few days on the farm have done me well. This time of year can evoke more anxiety and distraction than any other stretch of time when it should be focusing on family, friends and the immeasurable blessings that God has bestowed upon us. Its so easy to dwell on the things we 'don't' and 'can't' have instead of the 'is.' We live in a nation with excess everything and we don't even realize it. We've become desensitised to the bounty around us. 
Yesterday I spent much of the afternoon just hanging out with my nephew, walking the fields and helping my Pops with the animals. From feeding a new born calf, running line on fencing, and helping Tristan get unstuck from being waist high in mud it was a productive day. It was one of those 'good for the soul' days. The air was crisp, leaves brilliant with color and rolling hills far as the eye can see. I am in an infinite sense thankful. 
I thank God for my health, family, friends, education, living in this nation and most of all for sending his Son, Jesus Christ. My hope is to stay focused these next few weeks looking beyond the wrapping paper, red tag sales, and 'stuff' instead keeping it real with the substance of it all. The materials will one day fade, but it's about keeping it real and rich with that which really matters. Everything else just needs to take a back seat. 

No comments: