Thursday, September 3, 2009

All my life's a circle



I have a tendency to cut things a little close. I call it a challenge while others might categorize it as anxiety provoking. With a hop over the Atlantic I find myself back to the normalcy of life with a flight into Philly followed by a meeting for work less than twelve hours after our plane touched down. I personally thought that twelve hours was a nice cushion of time and playing it safe : )

Janet and Deb survived my defective gps and ability to reach any destination with a few circles, conversations with locals (of which I comprehended very little) and a handful of sighs in search of a recognizable sign or landmark. I know it takes a dose of patience and a tad unbalanced sense of humor to endure my method of travel, but I look it as character building for those who have dared to cross the Atlantic with me.

Sometimes we make the assumption that we know much more than we actually do. Traveling and friendship have been two key ingredients in learning more about myself and reinforcing how important it is to push beyond your limits and continually face challenges in order for growth and enlightenment. About a year ago I took a fairly bold step in pursuing friendships that consisted of honesty, depth and accountability while distancing myself from relationships which were much too one sided and left me playing the role of counselor or crisis control unit in lieu of friend. Initially it was difficult and something I struggled with, but I asked God to provide individuals to whom would be solid, steadfast and consistent in my life. These are attributes that too often were lacking and the combo of that and my job left me often running on empty.
What I've found so awesome is how when God answers prayers it is in His timing and with results that can often leave me dumb founded. Less than a year ago I didn't even know Deb & Janet. Now, I truly praise God for them and their friendship. I had a blast peddling along the picturesque plains of Lucca, feasting on fresh olives, mozzarella and bread in the marina of RioMaggiore and sipping wine at the foot of the Eiffel Tower. As the summer's curtains begin to draw closed I am recharged and possess a sincere sense of gratitude and appreciation for another global endeavor and for the tremendous gift of friendship.

No comments: