Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Beachy Beatniks


The past few days I've had the opportunity to catch up with some really great friends allowing for good conversation, a little sun and a good degree of prose. This evening a group of friends gathered to celebrate a friend, her life and the fact that she hit the '40' zone. There is no greater way to express love and appreciation than through poetry.

A Beatnik Poetry Potluck was born for such a celebration that could not hold merit without a beret, bongos and some serious finger snapping. We too often hold back in expressing how we care for others, whether that is out of fear or embarassment, and too often words are held back and depth is never revealed. Rarely is this the case among our English literary folk and it was great to mingle and uplift someone who embodies the qualities that most of us strive for all of our lives.

Life is fleeting and to have opportunities to just chill, reflect and jam to some seriously good poetry can't leave you not feeling pretty good. It's after midnight and my fingers are still clicking and the feet still tapping.

With poetry in the air and sand still on the soles of my feet I have savored each moment of summer and the people that enrich my life. There's just something about having melted wax on my seat covers, sand wedged along the stick shift and the smell of salt water that seems to permeate the carpets. This is my indicator that summer is very present and my state of zen has hit the 10 mark and I'm diggin' it.

Web Counter
Free Counter

No comments: