Sunday, August 28, 2011

Freak of nature

I am not a gold card member of the "I dig living in Jersey.com" or anything of that nature, but there are definitely some great aspects of the state that supersede the insanely high taxes, paying for beach tags (which I have yet to do since moving back 8 years ago), the turnpike or always being referenced in movies in a negative context. There's the fact that, if I really wanted to, I have the ability to paddle out and surf in the a.m and follow it up with a few runs down the slopes. We're close to Philly, NYC and some other pretty hopping spots. It has a pretty bad wrap for all the positive aspects the state possesses. But what has been interesting is how crazy and unpredictable this area has been in the past two weeks.
In a short span of time there's the earthquake that sent me hopping out of Wawa, the tornado watch that had the lights flickering and the imminent arrival of, Irene, and the insanity that she brought with her. Jersey has, in many ways, gone a bit on the crazy side of things. I got a kick out of watching people bob and weave down the aisles of the grocery store in pursuit of the last case of water and playing tug of war over the multigrain loaf that, if they didn't have, the world just might come to a halt. There's a song that I think captures the last week+ fairly well..."God is good, beer is great and people are crazy." I couldn't have said it any better.
Web Counter
Free Counter

No comments: