Sunday, September 11, 2011

Gettin' Dirty


This weekend Taylor and I treked over to Maguire Air Force Base to participate in the annual Mud Run. The Mud Run is a 10k throughout the base with heaps of obstacles, mud and a little more mud. True confession...I was a little nervous. I did nothing to train and haven't gone on a solid run since June. My last target heart rate experience was opting not to go on a long run with Taylor, but instead hopped on the beach cruiser and enjoyed a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks. Did I just confess that? Ouch...this chick is morphing into a bit of a slacker. No, say it ain't so! It's just a phase, jumpstart MUD RUN 2011!!!




 My goal: Finish Alive.          Outcome: Still breathing and I actually did fairly well.                                                                      Taylor clocked about an hour and five minutes. I was about twelve minutes behind. 
The obstacles ranged from crawling on your belly through mucky water under a mesh of rope, climbing over huge mounds of slippery mud and wading through thick mud (I felt like I was swimming through a huge vat of pea soup) and then jumping  up and over man made trenches in between wading in muck.  It was all right up my alley. Thousands of people gathered to just go a little crazy. It was sheer awesomeness. Already I'm planning on my tee shirt design for next year's event. Woop! 

In all the fun and craziness the event was planned the day before 9/11 in honor of the lives lost that day as well as raising funds for our local military. We are a blessed nation. I am proud to be an American and each of us are indebted to those who daily put their lives on the line. 
It's easy to take our everyday freedoms and privileges for granted. Men and women are putting their lives on the line every day on home soil and abroad. I have the greatest respect for those who wear a uniform representing the USA. Be proud. Be thankful.                                             
It is our job to remember the fallen, encourage those who serve (military, fire department, police force, etc.) and never take our freedom for granted. God Bless America! 

No comments: