Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Reflection of a life well lived


There aren't that many people in life that leave behind a legacy. Tonight I attended a viewing, or more likely a celebration, of the life of Bill Johnson. My first hint at what lie ahead was the inability to find a parking spot met with a sea of people standing in a line with over a two hour wait.
For those of you who don't know who Bill is, it might be Johnson's Farm that rings a bell. Bill & Bette Johnson started Johnson's in 1953 and it has grown into somewhat of a landmark for Medford. As I joined in the line it was amazing how many, young and old, filed through.
I'm only 33, but still feel like I remember 'the old Medford,' if you will. Bill represents the old Medford.     I bumped into Coles Roberts who used to run Jersey Jerry's years ago. I used to love stopping in for a gallon of cider that was on a slab of ice and bags of apples that you had to grab out of the big wooden bins. My family actually rented out the back section of his main building for their craft business and Coles used to stop by every so often to see what we were up to. He always got a kick out of watching my sisters and I clean & cut slate. As I look back now, those were moments that mean the world to me.
As I gazed at pictures of Bill, his kids and grandkids it was amazing to see the love, hard work and dedication that he had to really make it work. Jess and I were both bakers in the small red barn that is now home to a few cash registers and seasonal decorations. From rotisserie chickens to pumpkin pie and quiche - we knew how to kick out some mean baked goods. I can remember Bill coming in from a tractor ride perusing the bakery for a little pie or some cookies. He was always just sort of around.
In line I spoke with guys who used to drive tractors at the farm and others who had been loyal customers over the years. It's funny how one little place has so much history in so many people's hearts. From the mom who used to bring her kids to pick pumpkins to the kid who had his first real job or the high school kid who used to pop in after school to grab a snack before track practice....it has really connected a ton of people over the years.
From Bill's worn out pitch fork to Bette's still of her husband with a bird on his head - they are truly two people who have accomplished a tremendous amount along with leaving imprints on the hearts of countless people. Tonight wasn't filled with rows of people sobbing and silence. Instead, Frank Sinatra tunes played, corn stalks and mums lined the walls and there was endless chatter of those in line reflecting and remembering a man who touched their lives in some way.
None of us have any clue of how long we have on earth. Bill had 84 years and I have to say, the dude lived, loved and was loved in a way that's pretty rare these days.  Bill, thank you for everything and you will be missed, but mostly cherished in the hearts of many.

No comments: