Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thinking of more than just turkey


This was the first time in my life that I wasn't with my parents and Jess for Thanksgiving. It was strange, but with each new chapter in life you adjust. Keith, the girls & I spent Thanksgiving up the road at their grandmother's house.
Earlier in the week we managed, yet again, another successful Thanksgiving Turkey Basket Outreach. I am always in awe at the generosity of my fellow workers as we pulled together 32 baskets and a number of extra turkeys that are in 'hiding' in various freezers for Christmas. Thanksgiving has extended beyond turkey and cranberry sauce. What I have come to look forward to is the giving aspect.


To look into the eyes of someone this is struggling (it very easily could be one of us) and know that we have passed on not merely a basket of food, but a message of hope, faith and giving. This journey is not about us, but the message and impact that we leave behind. The few days of assembly were a tad crazy train, but I have come to learn that it all comes together in one way or another.
                  
The night before (of course, did you think I was just going to chill?) I played in the annual Seneca vs Cherokee staff football game. Besides the fact that it was a comfortable 43 degrees, pelting rain and constant winds swooping along the field it was a great game. By the end of the night my entire body was soaked to the bone and I couldn't feel my toes, but it was still a heap of fun. Yay, for good times at Seneca!

After an insane 3.5 days of the week I managed to kick it up a notch of insanity squared. The girls and I headed out a little after nine at night to partake in the pandemonium of Black Friday. Lots of rushing, waiting in lines and aiming for that super good deal that you didn't even know you were looking for. I haven't ventured out in the crazy since high school, but it was definitely an experience. I spent most of my time walking outside stores and searching for a cup of coffee as the kids embraced the BF madness.

No comments: