Friday, September 7, 2012

First day for Oswego : )


Wednesday was the first day of school for all of us on Oswego. Jordan began her first day of college in Rhode Island. Taylor had on her new outfit for the first day of her Junior year at Shawnee. The three of us had a first day of school 'breaking bread' breakfast before the sun was up as Keith & Tay headed to Shawnee & I trekked to Seneca. This is my ninth year at Seneca and even though it was an AWESOME summer heading back to 110 is a good thing. I love my job. I love the kids, my colleagues and the fact that I wake up in the morning and head to a place where I have the privilege to work in the lives of kids and, hopefully, make an impact. 
As we have wrapped up our first week it's six pm and I'm on the couch and in decompression mode. The first week always is a bit of a transition waking before the sun rises, realizing the pertinence of coffee and flipping through last year's year book determined to remember the kids that come in my office, often unannounced, or I pass in the hallway. It's crunch time, baby! 

As we head into a new school year it is my hope to have a powerful year. My prayer is to enter my workplace with the ability to look past stereotypes, outer shells and see each kid for who they are. Each of us are our own books with are own chapters and pages that most we come in contact with are unaware of. It is our duty, in my opinion, to dig deeper and see kids for who they are with the good, bad, sad and the in between. Connect with kids in a 'no strings attached' approach and good things happen. From handing off a pop tart to the kid who doesn't eat breakfast to taking a walk with the kid who just had a super bad day; it's connecting the dots in a way that's out of the box. It's all about connections, relationships and being invested in a way that let's others know your five days of the week isn't just a job and obligation, it's genuine. 
So whether you work alongside kids, adults or whatever is in between that....live in a way that you allow yourself to make a difference. Splatter that canvas with goodness : ) 

No comments: