Monday, September 17, 2012

Sun was shining and goodness was going


So I'm not sure how the past three days went so quickly yet it feels like there was sufficient time to catch up on odds and ends while allotting time to recharge and relax. Saturday Taylor, Nate, Olivia & Maggie enjoyed a beautiful day in Love Park while multi-giving. The kids handed out sandwiches, clothing and passed on heaps of smiles to countless individuals of all ages that are struggling to make it. As they passed goods out I had the opportunity to sit and speak with a number of people who were clearly embarrassed by where life had lead them and were almost apologetic for taking both food and clothing. I always try and say we're here to lend a hand, not judge. I think so many that we come across have been struck by judgement to a point that must be overwhelming and gut wrenching. 
So many stories with heartbreak, tears and quite often, but not always, substance abuse streaming between the lines. It was only a few hours spent hitting the pavement around Philly, but we left on the note that a bunch of my kids from Seneca will be heading back this Wednesday. Seneca's Philly Full Fledge Feed (greatest name EVER!) is back and ready to kick out lots of sandwiches, clothing and goodness. Looking forward to Wednesday, but having a little extra 'Tay-time' always makes Philly a little more special. 
The whole weekend could not have been any more perfect with cool evenings, sunny afternoons and warm sand between the toes. Being that God made me to be outdoors when there is any excuse to make a fire, I'm there. This goes all the way back to my high school days with Monty Python movies and late night bonfires that were of epic proportion. Last night Keith cooked up an impressive peach cobbler that he cooked in the fire pit. What's up, Eagle Scout aka husband of mine. It was four forks, two thumbs up and pretty epic snacking on carb goodness with stars overhead and a crackling fire. I love fall.



I've found that I am less stressed and healthier overall when I take the time to be outdoors. It's part of my wiring. From late night fire pits to waking up before the sun rises to catch a little surf I find myself happier and better functioning when I take the time to detach from the world and just take in a little stillness. It might be a whole afternoon or a simple twenty minute bike ride around the lake. Nature = an E friendly zone. 

No comments: