Sunday, March 23, 2014

Journey of the journals

This weekend I made an attempt to consolidate the many boxes and trinkets that have accumulated over my past 36 years. Lots of stuff. It's funny how difficult it can be to part with the little trinkets of our past. 
As a kid I spent a good amount of time journaling from middle school into my travels through Europe after college. It's amazing to re-enter a world through your eyes and be able to step right back into a frame of life that could have so easily been forgotten. As I flipped through the five stacks of notebooks I found myself laughing, holding back tears and even angry. In my past 36 years the pages brim with irrelevant banter of a twelve year old to the tear stained pages of the sixteen year old who had her heart broken to the shattered twenty one year old who just lost her best friend. Hundreds of pages that have spanned over two decades. 
There were pages I kept and others I chose to let go of. Some things are not worth re-living. Other portions of these pages are worth more than gold. I am grateful for the countless hours spent writing, documenting and reflecting.
Life is fleeting and it is so easy to remember little things of years past that really are pretty poignant and precious. I realize there are moments in our lives we need to let go of and others that we must learn from. We all are breathing, moving novels with pages filled with our own stories, chapters and experiences. All of these are what make us who we are and for that, I am grateful. 

No comments: