Sunday, March 30, 2014

Family blessings

It's amazing what you can do in a weekend. It's Sunday evening and I'm on a train heading back to Jersey. I'm tired, but there are no regrets in subjecting myself to a crazy train whirl wind weekend on the farm. It rained. It was cold. There was even a little snow. But fishing with Tristan and Gabe, chatting with my mom and dad on the porch and catching up with my sister made it all worth it. I love these guys with every ounce of my being. 
As I think of all the different stages of life these past few years I am grateful for the time I am able to have with them. Life can truly be mad and the six hour hike can be daunting, but I am grateful for the opportunities I have even if they are brief. In the back of my mind I think of how very lucky Tristan and Gabe are to have their grandparents in their lives on a daily basis. As Tristan asked about my mom mom and pop pop I explained how many years ago that my parent's mom and dad (except for Gert) went to heaven at a relatively young age. In fact, my mom's dad and my dad's mom were about the same age that my parents are now.
I learned at a very young age that life is brief. I am thankful for my husband, kids, parents, sister and nephews. It has been through loss that I have learned how important it is to keep priorities in order, to love the ones around you and to allow God to be in control of what we have not control over. Life, although brief, is a wonderful journey that was never intended to be anything less than what God intended, your own.

No comments: