Sunday, June 22, 2014

Grads, pancakes and gratitude


So I am now officially a parent of two college kids. As I sat on the Shawnee field Friday night it was two years ago that we were here for Jordan and eighteen years ago that I was here receiving my diploma. You can't help but reflect with a two hour ceremony. It has been a long, crazy, unpredictable journey since I stood at this spot as a kid eighteen years ago. I can say pretty confidently, life has never been boring and now, years later, I am so very humbled of where life has brought me and the blessings that seem overflowing with my own kids and husband.
I have known Taylor for nearly five years and in that time it has been amazing watching God use her in some pretty amazing ways. Her heart is big, almost as big as her smile. As she received her diploma my prayer is that she will allow God to direct her steps and that she will continue to just love and give as she has in these past four years of high school. I can't really think about her not being here come eight weeks from now. My mind can't really go there yet. I am going to miss her beyond words. But for the now, I will enjoy having Taylor and Jordan home and savor the summer, time together and the goodness that comes in so many different forms.

As she marked her final year of high school it was completion of year ten at Seneca. That.seems.insane.
Ten years and in that time my life has changed in a million ways. I look around at my colleagues and it feels like we have grown up together and endured good, bad and in between of life. It's pretty remarkable.
As a proper adieu to year ten we went out in style with a last Pancake Palooza for the Drug Squad class of 2014. Pancakes are a celebration for all occasions.

So ciao class of 2014 and shalom summer and the goodness that ensues from sun, flip flops and family time. I give thanks for the countless faces and memories that move on to another chapter in their lives. It was a great school year and, for now, I am content putting a close to the school year and being at peace with a few weeks of recharge. 

No comments: