Thursday, October 9, 2008

No seriously... don't quit your day job


So I can officially cross off 'painter' for possible career options in 2029. Wow, that took a load off my shoulders. Shannon, a fellow Young Life leader, just closed on her place in Medford Lakes. The past few days a group from church and an impressive number of our Young Life kids rolled up their sleeves and went to work. At one point it was pretty much like, how many kids does it take to paint a room? There were at least 15 - 20 kids at one point in every room in the house doing one of the many things needed to be done. So often you hear people focusing on how selfish teens can be. Well, I've got to tell you these kids the past few days have given so much of their time and energy and really blown that stereotype right out of the water. They were painting, spackling, doing trim and anything else that was on the to do list. You go guys!
Although the past week has been hectic and filled with 5 straight nights of pizza for dinner, it has been a true 'natural high' being in the presence of so many awesome people. I have come full circle with the realization that I will never run a successful painting company or drive a truck filled with the latest painting gadgets. A reality that I think I'm ok with. I'll just have to talk myself through it. Just give me a little time.

No comments: