Monday, October 6, 2008

A little surf, chowder and a whole lotta Harvest


Its been about two weeks since I've hit the Atlantic and my body was beginning to feel it. It's like that puffer fish you see on the shore line just short of the break lying, waiting, watching the surf that it so desperately needs to survive. Ok, so maybe not that extreme but pretty close. Both Saturday and Sunday the surf was more like ripples one might find in a toilet, but it was me submerged in the Atlantic & I was ok with that. I spent the weekend with a bunch of my Young Life kids and even though the surf was minute, it was well worth it. 
Sunday = Chowder Fest. What a crazy experience. Beach Haven unites tourists and those hand full of locals who feel motivated to combat the chaos all congregate into a few blocks of chowder madness. Shuffling along in my flip flops, toting a cup of lobster bisque with the sun beating down with the light sea salt smell in the air... man, I'm loving it. Being that I hadn't had more than 6 hours sleep in the past few nights it was quite a rich moment that didn't require a 20 oz cup of coffee from Wawa. 
Mid-afternoon I headed back Medford and had about 57 minutes to get ready for the big yellow bus to arrive en track to Harvest Crusade at the Wachovia Center. Deep breathing. Thirty one of us (a few leaders and the rest students from Shawnee, Seneca & Kings Christian) headed over the Ben. The evening was about challenging those present to re-evaluate the life they are living and what happens after we take our last breathe here on earth. Bottom line... it's about having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Life is short, too short sometimes... how are you living and who are you trusting? Some thoughts we too often let slip us by - sometimes intentionally and other times not. 
It was a powerful evening & I was stoked to be in the presence of some really wonderful kids.  As we headed back over the Ben my need for coffee returned and so the story of the bean continues. One day = bean free. Maybe. 

No comments: