Tuesday, October 6, 2009

For everything there is a season

I've been in the mental health field for awhile and one thing I've learned is that each day is unpredictable and often intensely emotional. I love what I do and I believe confidently that God put me in the here and now for a purpose. But there are days when my heart aches a little more intensely than others & today was one of those days. A friend that both of my sisters went to high school with lost her six year old daughter a few days ago. Tonight I attended her viewing along with many other family and friends. When life ends so abruptly, especially for someone so young, it often creates a acute and baffling state. My thoughts and prayers will be lifted for the family and those hurting at this time.

Life can sometime knock the wind out of you and as months transgress into years I gain a greater sense of what is and isn't important. This past weekend one of my best friends and I hopped in the car and headed to a wine festival in North Jersey. I had about a million other things on the 'to do' list, but I shrugged the shoulders and went onward. As this school year presses forward my hope is to cling to the things that do truly matter and taking time out of the craziness to relax and savor the beauty of the present. Sometimes it is through trial and tribulation that the little voice in our head chides to our hearts that what we become so uptight and anxious for is fairly frivolous in the scheme of things.


Sunday was unproductive in the eyes of the daily planner, but a wonderful day of good conversation, laughing and hitting the pause button on life. As dusk fell the sun cast a amber glow on the gentle rolling hills of the vineyard richening the green and purples of the grapes hanging heavy from their vines. As I walked along the dusty gravel drive leading towards the exit, and re-entry towards reality, I couldn't help but pause and soak in the moment. With all that was left to do back home at that moment it just didn't matter. Life is profoundly brief and we must not allow the moments that hold so much substance to slip through our finger tips.

No comments: