Monday, October 10, 2011


This weekend was the Apple Festival at Kirby's Mill in Medford. It's definitely one of the signs that fall is in full swing with the changing of leaves, smell of apple cider donuts and locals gathering in packs to peruse craft tents and enjoy some great food. 

It was an enjoyable day, but what was my highlight was getting a hug and smile from an old friend. Cole Roberts is the official 'ice cream man' at the festival each year. Cole is probably in his mid-80s and as down to earth as they come. The guy is a staple of Medford's history, even though few would realize that these days. The Roberts family has been connected with Kirby's Mills for years along with running Jersey Jerry's Apple Stand on Church Road. Cole was a good friend of Bill Johnson, founder of Johnson's Corner, who recently passed. 

In a day in age where we are driven by time, technology and status I have tremendous respect for the generation that seems to have a firmer grasp than my own generation on the importance of slowing down, working the land and the prioritizing of community and family. I have great respect for Cole, who represents a sense of morals, values and integrity that you don't see too often these days. In a lot of ways he reminds me of my own father who I have watched my whole life work hard, stand firm in his beliefs and possesses a love for God, family and country that has set him apart from most. 

In the five minute conversation with Cole a million memories flooded my mind. In a second I flash back to being fifteen listening to the Beatles and cutting, leathering and cleaning slate with my sisters. I can see the apples hanging heavy in the orchard a few yards off in the distance and hear Cole's tractor sputtering towards the fields. Now, 18 years later all I can do is smile and give the old man next to the ice cream churner a big hug in appreciation of some pretty great memories. 

No comments: