Sunday, June 24, 2012

Not just roll butter







I think it is easy to make assumptions or place labels on different races, religious groups, etc. Whether we admit it or not each of us have our own form of prejudice. I've been guilty of it. In past, my only interaction with the Amish has been with the pretzel guy at Dutch Wagon Market or the little boy riding  in a buggy with his family in Lancaster. So we'll just say there were no deep relationships being built.
The Amish have their own culture, veer clear (some more so than others) of the material things of society and have always intrigued me.For a little over two years my parents have maintained a business relationship with a few Amish families that live within an hour of their farm. In that relatively short amount of time they have taken quite a liking to my parents and I feel quite privileged to accompany them for drop offs and pick ups of jellies and pastas.
Yesterday we stopped by the Yoder's Farm and one of the young women brought me to their local hub for vitamins, spices, bread and toiletries. It was at some point someone's home that was now a little make shift Wawa for all things Amish. I was stoked and I think the lady thought I was a bit off with how I was so into the vitamin/herbal section. Only a few pictures were snapped out of respect to the family and without having my parents black listed from their new business partners.
I'm hoping to have one or two more visits before the summer's end continuing to learn a little more each time we meet, even if there are no words exchanged. It's all about dismantling misperceptions and reshaping what people are really about through our own personal experiences.

No comments: