Sunday, October 7, 2012

Be the pink


Every Friday morning I meet up with a handful of my girlfriends for an early morning run before the school day begins. Our sneakers are slapping the pavement as the moon and stars are our backdrop against the blackened sky. It's a combination of mental, physical and spiritual rejuvenation that I wouldn't change for the world. I love my friends. 

This past Friday as we rounded the last bend before heading back to the locker rooms we were greeted by a sign (as seen above) that evoked a mix of emotions. Friday was our annual 'pink out' with hundreds of teens and teachers adorning pink shirts, bows and knee high socks. As students made their way through the hallways to classes it was a sea of pink. Love it. 
Our efforts were to promote awareness about breast cancer and the many other forms of cancer that have impacted nearly all of us in some way, shape or form. Most of us have had or have someone in our life touched by cancer; it's an epidemic. My heart aches with stories that seem to stretch on and on.

But I am also very proud. Those pink cups lining the field re-enforced a very powerful message. There is power in numbers. There is hope to be found. I believe we can, in many forms, make a difference in the battles that we wage each day. There is so much heart ache out there that includes so many facets of life.  So often we may feel alone facing battles in the form of illness, financial hardships, family losses and the list goes on and on. We are not alone. 

I thank God for the Hope that I have in Him. There is some crazy crap that life can hand out and I don't know why some have more than others. Some of the stories that I hear each and every day in my office can cause my heart to ache in a way that can leave me emotionally exhausted. I don't have answers as to the 'why's' of all these aches and pains. I do know that there is solace, there is hope in knowing that ALL things are in God's Hands. I know ALL things do work together even if I don't ever see the end result. I am comforted by the fact that God is good & in control. My heart is not as heavy or fragmented at this reality. 
So as those pink dixie cups line our fields I am so very comforted that there is, indeed, hope. Rock on and live strong. 

No comments: