Saturday, October 13, 2012

Under Our Stars


There's something about hope. There's something special about family. When you combine those two elements at Seneca you are bound to experience something unique. Last night I participated in our school's first annual "Walk Under Our Stars" event. It was our own school based Relay For Life involving over 700 students and staff. I signed up to work from start to finish. Knowing that this was going to be something we would all remember for the rest of our lives there was no way I was missing a moment even if the weather forecasters were predicting temps dipping into the 20s. My strategy was to layer, drink heaps of coffee & hot chocolate while surrounding myself with 700 AMAZING human beings. Cold and frost would be no match.
From the start of the school day it was already emotional just observing the kids streaming through the hallways with their coordinated shirts, sprayed hair and signs hanging promoting the evening's event. So much emotion and charge drove all involved from the get go.













Nothing, and I mean nothing, could have prepared me for what the next twelve hours would hold in store. Imagine 700+ teenagers gathering on a football field with pop up canopy tents, bags of food, blankets, chairs, tables, stuffed animals and the list could go on and on. The cynical type would raise an eyebrow and shake their head.
We had faith in our kids. We set the bar high. Our kids were spectacular and surpassed, once again,  the expectations for the evening. Hundreds of teens gathered for the purpose of not only raising money for cancer, but honoring those their friends, family members and friend's loved ones who either are a cancer survivor or those who are no longer with us. Tee shirts and posters with names and faces of loved ones filled all areas of the field that had me choked up before the evening officially began.






















The evening kicked off with all 700+ of us lined on the track taking the first lap together, as one family. Pride surged and our kids were off to walk, stride and push forward for the next 12 hours. As the clock reached midnight the lights were turned off and we gathered around the track for one lap, in silence, together. The entire track was lit by luminary bags, each one had a name of someone who had been touched by cancer. As the lights flickered and we walked under a canopy of stars all I could think of was the hundreds who surrounded me who were thinking of someone, at that very moment, that they have watch suffer or their someone who was no longer here. My eyes swelled with tears thinking of how my husband and kids have been effected. I thought of both of my grandfathers and many dear friends who are no longer here. It seems the majority, no longer the minority, have a someone.
Seven hundred kids and adults walking in silence. Mom's, Dad's, friends, aunts and grandparents represented by one single light. Standing individually, it seems so vulnerable and dim. Together, gathered and properly represented the lights burn bright and their loved ones stand strong.

As the weekend continues on those twelve hours still weigh on my heart. I feel so very honored to have been a part of such a awe inspiring event. It will stay with me for the rest of my life. I heart Seneca. 

No comments: