Saturday, October 19, 2013

A scoop, a run, a zen...


It's Saturday night and I am alone, the house is quiet and I'm finally sitting down. At thirty five I'm beginning to get better at the whole learning what is best for you thing. I like being busy and I'm wired to be uncomfortable in silence, alone and not doing something. I'm a slow learner, but sometimes the quiet and the solitude is just what I need.
The day started before the sun had risen as Taylor, her friends and I schlepped to AC for a Color Run. A few thousand pounds of color later we were caked in all the colors of the rainbow. A whole heap of people came out to run, nosh and raise money for the Big Brothers Foundation in South Jersey. I love keeping fit, raising awareness and spending time with a kid who is pretty rad (biased, but factual: ).

Taylor, who also travels in warp speed, headed to Coneheads ice cream shop to scoop in the name of Shawnee's Glow Run. All proceeds raised from the run in April along with 50% of the ice cream scooped is heading to the Hope Alive Clinic in Haiti. I don't think I have ever met a kid so stoked to serve, scoop and smile where there was no 'perk' on her end.
It's awesome to think that the collaboration of efforts, time and commitment of teens in South Jersey will have life long impacts on so many lives in Haiti. Taylor witnessed the hurt and pain first hand along with the amazing experience of watching kids and their loved ones receive medical care. The hundreds of other kids who will be involved in this process won't fully grasp the magnitude of their impact. Every dollar, each medical supply and individual sacrifices will add up to allow amazing things to happen. How cool is it to think that the little things here over a period of time are going to do HUGE things just a four hour plane ride away? Good job Shawnee High School! Be the change, baby!


No comments: