Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Aquatic-ly Challenged

Sitting in the computer lounge, and I use that term quite loosely, overlooking palm trees and an electrical blue ocean. We just finished dinner & if I headed back to the room I would within minutes be unconscious. Yesterday we laid cement reef structures on the beach that will be placed in the ocean later in the week. I was a tad challenged yesterday, but today was by far a level of intensity that I haven't experienced in a long time.
The task for my partner, Tam, and I was hard / soft coral mapping of approximately 30 feet of ocean surface. That may not sound like much, but with a number of unpredictable elements thrown in it was anything bud dull. Our first free dive lasted a good bit of time with fairly calm seas, but the challenge was pacing yourself for air & accurately labeling coral. When you have to assess the ocean's surface on an inch by inch basis it can prove daunting.
We returned to the research center for lunch & when it came time to meet for our afternoon trek. Our second reef site was a solid distance off shore. The equipment had to be transported out via boat and the it was critical to not have it hit coral in the midst of the shallow waters. Loco. I had to implement the whole 'positive self talk' mantra as the sun was beating an intense 95 degrees and the tide was switching up.
I'm hoping to turn in fairly early tonight, but the beds we've been provided are as ancient as the national Seeley Posture Pedic Plant. As springs jut through the fabric and the wood that improvises for a box spring is obviously on its last leg - I just tell myself, 'dude, you're in the Bahamas.' I would normally hit the floor, but the concrete combined with our evening 4-8 legged visitors is a slight deterent. But, sleep will be achieved in one manner or another. Tomorrow we hit another reef site & then have a pretty epic lunch lined up with a local townswoman who will be hosting us. Stoked : )

No comments: