Sunday, November 15, 2009

Drug Squad Returns



Little less than an hour ago I returned from a three and a half day retreat with my Drug Squad kids that consisted of many hours of a big yellow bus. As I lay on my bed typing my body is sore from essentially abusing it from lack of sleep, sitting in a bus for over 14 hours traveling there and back as well as sleeping on a solid wood floor. WIth all of these elements combined I'm a tad on the numb side, but so greatly in awe of the magnitude of the weekend and what was accomplished in a relatively small window of time.

Twenty six teens on the farm for seventy two hours lacking cell phones, facebook and everyday distractions made for an ideal opportunity to challenge each of them to 'dig deep.' From intense group time in challenging them how they are living their lives to building chicken coops with one another as well as opportunities for each of them to share their own stories, backgrounds and the 'why' regarding the reasoning in the path they are taking in life -- each hour and day created a richer sense of them realizing that yes, they are indeed different, but essentially the same.

Witnessing friendships develop before my eyes was pretty amazing. Right along with that was sitting in the presence of 26 amazing young people with a heart for others and a desire to really rock out in how they are living their lives. To me, being a part of something so special leaves me very humbled and at the same time in awe of the potential these kids have to really make an impact in the world around them.

I'll be sure to post some more pics as well as more detail about the retreat once my mind clears up a bit. It was another great year with some epic kids & an extra bonus getting to hang with the fam. What more could I ask for?
Web Counter

Free Counter

No comments: