Sunday, November 8, 2009

Good stuff

This weekend I had not much on the agenda & spent more time catching up on sleep, soaking in the nice weather and being in the presence of good peeps than I have on your typical weekend. What was a perk was a four day weekend courtesy of NJ Teacher's Convention. Of course, I would have loved to be there but it seemed more appropriate to just not go.

Jess and the boys were in earlier in the week and although the time was precious it left me exhausted come the weekend. So, four days off came at the perfect time. As I head into the week the focus becomes on my Drug Squad retreat that kicks off on Thursday and runs until Sunday in Virginia. It's hard to believe that this marks the fifth year and I believe it is running stronger than ever. Being able to have these kids away from the distractions of society (cell phone, email, etc.) for 3.5 days and really hit the pause button on life is a responsibility I take very seriously. Throughout our time my hope is to place continual challenges to them regarding the life that they are leading. We can go with the flow, we can be be complacent and the life we lead can come attached to a large pay check, fancy cars and so forth. All of that, does not ensure happiness. In my mind the more we have the more we want & the yearning to fill a hole that can not be filled with stuff. Instead, investing in others and living a life that will indeed make an impression upon the heart of others provides a richness that anything tangible in society can not replicate. I get excited and my hope is that my words and the challenges placed before them to do not fall on deaf ears. To think if these twenty five teens make the decision to examine their lives and choose to forego the pressures of their peers how dynamic their impact upon those around them will be. How absolutely epic is that?


Web Counter

Free Counter

No comments: