Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gracias isn't just once a year ....


Tomorrow at this time I will more than likely be sitting on my parent's front porch gazing for shooting stars with Tristan on my lap as we sway on the rocking chair. It is quite a contrast to a day that ended a few short hours ago that has left my feet sore and body on the verge of exhaustion, but I'm not about to complain. There is tremendous focus on 'giving back' around the Holidays; we really pull out all the stops. What I'm pretty proud of that at Seneca it is a year round pay-it-forward mentality and I believe it is reflected in our student body. But we do get a tad intense around the holidays. This year we're rocking out close to 50 Thanksgiving baskets for people within our community.

Sometimes we can get so caught up in the hoopla of this time of year it can be easy to overlook the reality that many, especially with our present economy, do not have a Thanksgiving dinner awaiting them come Thursday. I have to tell you, being able to be one spoke in the giant wheel of our 'giving cycle' leaves me with a long term stoke that money, material goods or even 1,000 surfboards could come close to. Man, what a total stoke...

So as we gather round with family and friends this coming weekend do indeed count your blessings. Take time to tell those around you how you care and I urge you to carry on the giving concept beyond that of our special calendar dates. With our two hands it is truly possible to change the world, even if it is one full plate at a time.

No comments: