Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Jingle bell rock ... or roll

The Christmas Season set in for me this weekend with Christmas trees propped in empty parking lots, lights on houses, chaos in every store within a thirty mile radius and the seemingly endless source of cookies that are in every planning center at Seneca. With a week and a half remaining before break it is during this time that so many people really struggle with the holidays. For many, it is a reminder of someone that they once loved who is no longer with them or salt in the wound for mom or dad who may have lost their job or the reality that they have 11 days home where someone under their roof is struggling with addiction. I don't mean to fix a dark cloud over head, but even as I bobb my head to Bing Crosby in the back of my mind there is the reality that now, more than ever, it's so important to bring out the empathy card.
I feel blessed, profoundly and very undeserving of what I have. With that we prep for pulling another fifty plus Christmas baskets together for local families. In my heart I hope the sense of passing on a little 'goodness' will alleviate a little sadness and allow many to know that they are indeed cared about. So if you have the chance to really look someone in the eyes and wish a very sincere, heart felt, 'Merry Christmas' I can bet after a few pupil to pupil connections there is a lifting of spirits and hearts. I dig it.

No comments: