Sunday, May 16, 2010

Tri-by-the-Sea


I am not a ballerina. I am not a gymnast. Until recently I would have never assumed the title of 'runner,' but today I proved myself wrong. My THR (Target Heart Rate) group from school hit the road early and had a very epic day participating in the Ocean City Aquatic Club Triathlon. If you were to ask me a few months ago there might have been tremendous skepticism in any chance of me rolling in a tri, but it was a great day to prove myself wrong.

Our day consisted of a 1/4 mile swim, 2 mile run, 16 mile bike and finished off with a 2 mile run where my legs felt more like concrete stumps pushing out the last 20 minutes. There was nothing but smiles, positive mindests and a whole lot of intensity that I was diggin'.

At about mile 8 of the bike pushing into the wind my legs were a bit fatigued and the realization set in that mountain bikes don't really make the cut in these conditions, but it was a little too late for that. But with salt in the air and so many awesome people gathered for a great cause (all proceeds went towards breast cancer research) there was no way of not having an epic time.

I might be a tad on the sore side as the week rolls in, but I'm already up for the next challenge. But living life without continual challenge or pushing the envelope (even just a little:) just wouldn't seem right. Live life with open arms, open eyes and an open heart.
Web Counter
Free Counter

No comments: