Monday, May 31, 2010


There are moments in life where the richness of the blessings I have seem to smack me in the face. The past few months have been filled with wedding planning, getting things in gear as the school year winds down and just plain crazy train with many aspects of life. They are all very good levels of crazy that can at times seem daunting, but ones that I am profoundly grateful for.

This weekend I had the opportunity to take the train down south and spend some time with the family on the farm. The time I have with Tristan & Gabe are precious and sometimes I struggle with the fact that they're growing up before my eyes and how much of that I miss out on. But having these little windows of time fill my heart with joy. From making smores in the fire pit under the stars, tackling the slip and slide for hours, sharing a muffin under a tree at the market or walking hand in hand along the perimeter of the farm; every moment is a gift that I thank God for. I refuse to take time or those I loved for granted - it's all goodness that I value immensly.

My Dad & Tristan put meaning to the weekend with reminding passerbys of the reason for the weekend. I love my country. Our nation has deep roots in a fight for freedom and liberty that too often is not connected with the raw reality that it came at a cost. Freedom does not come free. The lives of many men and women have been sacrificed for the freedoms that we have today.

Having been to many areas on the globe that do not have the freedoms and rights that we have places things in perspective. We are one nation under God with liberties and freedoms that should never be taken for granted. My hope is that we realize the cost and that we are indebted to those who serve. Say thank you, extend a handshake or buy the next man or woman in uniform that you see a cup of coffee. I promise you - it goes a long way.

As you roll into the four day week count your blessings, thank a soldier and hug a loved one. Never take a day for granted and remember the cost and meaning behind the freedom that we have.
Web Counter
Free Counter

No comments: