Monday, October 25, 2010


It's unbelievable how quickly time passes. In just a short while November will be making its debut and with it comes a little less light, the absence of the brilliant leaves on trees and a little more stress as the Holidays approach. Sunday I had the opportunity to take a trek to Ocean City. Walking the boardwalk in late October with clear skies, a strong sun and warm soft sand on my toes just has a way of putting life in perspective. It was good for my soul.

The time near the Atlantic also allowed for time to think and clear the head a little. Sitting on a bench facing the shore I became overwhelmed with the richness of life surrounding me. Only a few short evenings before we had a Coffee House at Seneca to raise money for our food pantry. Honestly, I went into this crossing my fingers that we could convince kids to turn out to drink coffee, eat some cookies and jam for a good cause. So I was floored when our cafeteria was filled with kids and parents. We were easily over 200 once things started rolling. Epic. Hundreds of canned goods were brought in and our money jar was filled to the brim. Kids played the bongos, the piano, guitar and even a few trumpets all in the name of music and our Seneca family. At present, our local churches and food banks are being innundated by families in need. If you think you KNOW what hunger LOOKS LIKE...you're wrong. There is no longer a face, a name or a type that can be placed on those who are just simply struggling. It is not about pity, but rather that we may strive to look into the eyes of our fellow students, neighbors and co-workers and have a pulse on who is in need and in what ways those needs can be fulfilled. Do not turn a blind eye. Do not take the blessings and abundance that you may have for granted. I pray each day for the eyes of Christ and that my ears are in tune, my eyes are open and my heart is receptive. Never take what you have for granted & always make it a point to not let one day slip by without looking into the eyes of someone and giving a smile, a hello or the attempt to make at least one person's day a little bit brighter. Because the honest truth is that we can all make a difference - you just have to try.
Web Counter
Free Counter

No comments: