Sunday, October 31, 2010

I've always felt that there is great significance in one's family history and the places that so often connect us with both past and present. Both my mom & dad were born and raised in Bayonne. There story is of a boy & a girl born on two different sides of the tracks and as time, life and fate would have it they ended up together. Walking along Hudson Park or perusing the Boulevard I feel a part of what once was; in my mind I can imagine my Dad tossing a football in the park, my mom hanging with friends at the local pizza shop, my grandmother leaning over her sowing machine working piece meal and my grandfather spending hours in his lab working on some new project. My family has instilled a sense of loyalty, hard work and love that I am eternally grateful for. It is through their eyes that I gained the greatest sense of who I wanted to be and now, as an adult, I owe them my greatest gratitude. They are my heroes. So when I walk these streets there is a connection to a place and time that had a bearing on who I have become.
And with that Keith & I met up with my mom's side of the family to attend a gala honoring my cousin, Varda, and four other women for their service to Bayonne and the Jewish Community Center. It was an evening of dancing, eating and wonderful conversation. Listening to speeches and side conversations it was so neat to be part of something so wonderful and much of that centered around my cousin.
For nearly 30 years Varda has been part of the nucleus of Bayonne. Her involvement has ranged from fundraisers, community projects and activities aimed at involving kids from all walks of life all for the sole purpose of bettering her community. I have tremendous respect for her and my hope is to continue living, learning and pressing onward in a way that will make even a quarter of a difference that she has in her life time.
We also took the time to visit the 'Teardrop" monument located right along Bayonne's Port in memory of those fallen on 9-11. Standing in front of the 2,000+ names etched in marble overlooking the Statue of Liberty was pretty moving. Those names are connected to thousands of family members who will grieve for their loved ones as long as they walk this earth. My prayer is that we do not forget them, that we take pride in our country and know that by all means freedom is not free.
Web Counter

Free Counter

No comments: