Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New connects to the old

It always takes me awhile to transition when a new year sets in. This might age me a bit, but there's a sense that with each year that passes the time slips by a little faster than the year prior. Scribing 2012 on a banking slip yesterday felt awkward and I'm often amazed that yet another 365 days have passed by.
We returned to school today and although I was not overly enthusiastic about returning from a great break, it was nice to see my friends and kids again. It's nice to love what you do.

Last night I met up with my dear friend, Sue,  who is prepping for a two year plus venture in England with her husband, Mark, who was transferred to Bath. Sue and I have been through thick and thin and it's one of those relationships that months can pass without seeing one another and as soon as we're together we pick up right where we left off. Time sort of stands still when we get together to chat, laugh, cry and be the crazy drug ladies that we are. I have tremendous respect for Sue and as she embarks upon a new journey my excitement for her new chapter grows.




Change can be super overwhelming and anxiety provoking, but quite often how we look at the path we are embarking upon plays a roll in the journey. If you anticipate the worst and the 'what ifs' it's pretty definite that you'll be more inclined to be surprised for things to go well than the contrary. Life is a journey and we can choose to keep our eyes glued to the rear view mirror stuck on the past (the good and the bad) or we can opt to look through the windshield going forward and being able to have a grasp on what is ahead of us; that also includes the good and the bad.

So often, we white knuckle the future clinging to what was and what could have been instead of what can be. I am a part of Sue's life, but I will be here when she returns. Life goes on. Each of us have our own life to live and pages to fill. The trick is to not allow the rear view mirror or white knuckle mentality to forge our path. Live, embrace and dig the journey of life.


Web Counter


No comments: