Thursday, February 16, 2012

A little sea, a little Gert and a whole lot of nosh




Whenever I visit my grandmother there is no shortage of interesting stories, waxed fruit, pints of matzo ball soup saran wrapped in the freezer and the sense of everything in the day revolving around meal time. My mom and I headed to Fort Lauderdale to spend some time with Grandma Gert. I love my grandmother, but we are SO different. Yet even with being polar opposites we managed to find a pretty swanky matching top while on a shopping trip. Yes, my 91 year old grandmother and I own the same shirt. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.



My mom and I managed to sneak away to the closest break for a little paddle out time on the Atlantic. I guess that would be more of me submerging in the Atlantic while my mom dug her toes in the sand and just might have relaxed a bit : ) I always encourage the kids I work with to find their natural high and I am a big believer in practicing what you preach. Wading in 74 degree water in the middle of the Atlantic was the instant remedy to all things of a stressful nature. Palm trees swaying in the wind, emerald green water and amazingly warm water was an instant state of relaxation that put my heart in a good place. 


One of the greatest perks of visits to Grandma are the unending options of EPIC food. There are times I think one of my vices is food. I love good, yummy and fun food. When my mom and I are together we become obsessed with finding the greatest place in the area to invest our taste buds. So we pretty much hit the jack pot when we visited a local diner with chutzpa, nosh and latkes on the same page of their menu. With that, there is no going wrong. I did not throw my lakes in the air, but they did hit the stomach and were amazing along with stuffed cabbage and a killer reuben.

Although the weekend of a little sun, a lot of food and a bit of Gert was pleasant it definitely is a place I enjoy a little of and not a whole lot of. Sometimes the goodness factor in small increments is the best way to roll. Sunny times with G squared will resume next winter...the legend will continue. 

No comments: