Monday, February 20, 2012

They say that time heals all wounds. I strongly disagree with that statement. With the passage of time the wounds and scars may heal over, but there will always be some marking that remains. Some wounds and pains heal differently for each of us. I have come to the conclusion that the scars and pains of life have the ability to make us stronger and gain a firmer perspective of what really matters in life.



A little over a month ago I was asked to speak at a dedication of the youth center at our old church on the Outer Banks in memory of my sister Shana. I was honored that they had thought of Shana when putting the plans for the dedication in place. Friday afternoon I headed down for a quick weekend to be a part of the dedication.
It wasn't until I stood in front of the crowd that I was overwhelmed with emotion. So many faces that have held such a special place in my families heart. I feel honored to have so many people in my life who have loved, prayed for and encouraged my family when so many shirked away out of discomfort and uncertainty. I will always consider those at Nags Head Church an extended family. I'm not even sure what I said, but it was from the heart. I feel honored that this section of the church is in memory of Shana. My prayer is that through relationships forged through their outreach that lives and hearts will be altered. Life is as a vapor and may we not strive for that which is temporary and meaningless. Fight the good fight.

No comments: