Monday, February 20, 2012

Carolina time



Mile post 7.5 is where my family and I once lived for a few years in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina. When I crossed the bridge late afternoon on Friday I automatically rolled the windows down to take in the salt air and   the cool Carolina breeze. My dad, Jess & the boys met up with me later that night to spend the weekend together. Keith & Jordan headed up to New England doing a few college visits and Taylor is kicking it into high gear for the final week before her school play debuts. My mom had to head to Bayonne to help out my aunt and could have really benefited from a little down time.


It was nice to hang on the beach, build sand castles and catch up with old friends. Dear friends of ours, Steve and Diana, came over for dinner on Saturday night. After dinner Steve brought out his famous shearers and gave the boys a hair cut. It was great watching my dad just relax, enjoy the company of good friends and take in a little re-charge time that is so rare in the life of the American farmer.


Although the weather turned a bit our last leg of our trip part of me finds solace in the howling Carolina winds that stir the ocean waters and causes a methodical sway along the beach homes that brings a sort of comfort to me. I miss this place, but it also evokes a sadness that stings my heart. But I cling to the good, the happy and the beauty in a place on the map that will always have a sense of home to it.



Web Counter

No comments: