Sunday, July 22, 2012

I believe there a certain experiences in life that are life altering. Moments that alter your thinking and challenge your perceptions of everything you have ever known.
I've travelled extensively, but the level of poverty and lack of the most basic of needs (running water, food, etc.) seems to have no end. We spent most of the day at World Harvest Orphanage where we attended church followed up by a kick off for a week long of vbs.
As we sat in the shade snacking on lunch it was difficult to to not be wrecked by the handful of kids scurrying around. Most did not eat breakfast. Most did not eat lunch. Taylor rummaged through my bag laying out a half eaten box of puffins and a sleeve of Pringles. Each child smacked their lips and chided a sincere, 'merci.' Their stomachs churn and they are polite, they share with their friends and they look out for one another. Something as simple as tossing a rubber ball makes their day.
Taylor held her dance class and at one point there were close to 100 kids jumping up and down. Her thought was maxing out at 25 and the Haitian kids upped that a bit and she did great. I manned the face painting table as crowds of kids squished, pulled and tugged at me. I kept praying for a sense of peace and calm when I was becoming anxious as kids were literally jumping on top of me. I am in no way an artist, but the kids had a blast as I made rainbows, hearts, whiskers and splatters of color that just sort of happened. It was an awesome day that leaves me lying on my bed at seven pm decompressing. Goodness. Powerful goodness.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: