Saturday, July 7, 2012

Past and present connected


 

With the temps hitting an awfully uncomfortable 104 today I managed to spend most of the day indoors attempting to be productive in a way that has yet to have my a.d.d unleashed. I spoke with
my Grandmother yesterday who gave an open invite for us to come down to Florida to 'cool off' from our oppressive heat here in Jersey. Who would have thought? 

(meaning behind the sign - I was born in Pt Pleasant & grew up in Medford.)
I spent a portion of the day sorting through pictures that I have been determined to have scanned and put into dvd form & eventually book form. It's amazing in one box how much life is reflected and the chapters of our lives that are evoked from images that have managed to slip through our memory over the years. In a large rubbermaid bin hundreds of pictures were stashed in my parents attic for the past six years and the sorting through process has brought smiles and tears. In the end, I am in awe of how rich my life has been in these past thirty four years. There have been so many people in my life that have allowed me to become a better human being through their example, their words and encouragement.


I found pictures of my grandmother and grandfather that both passed on nearly thirty years ago. Both Betty and Jack left an impression upon my heart that still is carried with me today. What I take from my grandparents, sister and countless friends are life lessons that continue to mold me. We are a work in process. If you think you know it all you're wrong. If you do not seek wisdom from others (be selective with this one) and rely only upon your own understanding, faltering is inevitable. There is richness in the past and lessons to be learned. I hope to always have the ability to reflect back on different chapters of my life that may bring tears, smiles or a laugh. But through that not clinging to what could have been, but more of the blessings that existed even in the most turbulent of chapters. Life's a journey that will always have a past, present and future. 



No comments: