Friday, April 19, 2013

We Can


I believe in the concept of never settling, always dreaming and inspiring others to catch the concept of having lofty visions of life. About a year ago Tay and I were at the World Cafe Live in Philly where Jesse Ruben was performing. He's headlined with some pretty impressive musicians. As I listened to his lyrics, got a pulse of his personality and outlook on life the wheels began to spin. I leaned over to Tay and said, "we need him at Seneca." She just smiled.
I always have music playing in my office. A few months later one of my students and I were talking when she stopped me mid-sentence to ask who was singing the song on pandora. Jesse Ruben. Bam! Molly managed to inspire and motivate her peers to tweet, fb and message the heck out of Jesse who proceeded to reach out to me via email asking, "who are these kids? where are they from?" They wanted Jesse at Seneca and man, did those guys hit the ground running. After a few emails and phone calls a date was set...Jesse was heading to Seneca. 


But prior to his performance at Seneca the Drug Squad had a private jam session with Jesse performing in my living room. It was pretty amazing watching these kids bask in good tunes and the satisfaction that they had succeeded in getting Jesse Ruben to Seneca High School. How cool is that? 


The following day he tag teamed with three assemblies to over 1,200 students performing his hit song, "We Can." The dude can sing. What impressed me most was his ability to relate to the kids, inspire his listeners to go beyond complacency and dream big. Our life is not about us. To remain stagnant is unacceptable. A great guy, great tunes and a super amazing evening that these kids are not soon to forget. Thanks, Jesse!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Aj9E5lCn0


No comments: