Monday, July 8, 2013

It has been over ten years since I've returned to Ireland. It's baffling to think how quickly time goes and, as I reflect, consider the different chapter I was at in my life at that time.

It has been over ten years since I've returned to Ireland. It's baffling to think how quickly time goes and, as I reflect, consider the different chapter I was at in my life at that time.
I remember taking a position as what I was lead to believe was as a receptionist at a hotel. Within the hour of my arrival in Clonakilty, the southern most point of Cork County, I realized the facility was a refuge for asylum seekers. From scrubbing toilets, cleaning rooms with an outfit that bore a resemblance to the garb of the scientists in ET and dealing with brawls of drunkards in dark corridors; it was an after school special gone terribly wrong.For 96 hours of my life it was very ..... enlightening. Being that I had no money coming in and I needed a job, this couch surfer caught a lift to Cork City to find a gig at the Univ. of College Cork as a transcriber for the dairy department. I'd say that ranked in the top 3 tier of most random jobs over my life time.
I learned more about cheese, salmon distribution and, most of all, I learned about life.
At that time in my life I was a young kid eager to devour every ounce of travel, to meet as many travelers from all parts of the globe as well as doing my best to keep the facade of being the happy go lucky crazy American traveller in tact.
I left the States right after my college graduation. I had a great gig with the State of NC lined up, was in the mix with legislators and the higher ups...but I needed to stretch my arms wide, throw myself out of my comfort zone and find peace in a very tumultuous stage of my life.
As I set foot in Dublin all I can do is smile. I am grateful for these journeys in my life. I am thankful for God's peace and unwavering love because without it, there's no telling where I would be.
God is good. This country symbolizes more than the luck of the Irish for me. It represents growth, risk, faith and the reality God is in control of all things.
I was a heavy hearted, misguided couch surfer who needed to let go of all the chaos and just let God take control of my life. He directs. He provides.
Thankful for family, friends & that my past has brought me to this present.


Erin Lawler

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: