Sunday, July 28, 2013

Grandma migrates north


Family is important. The older I become the more aware I am of its pertinence along with the stark reality that everyone isn't here forever. So when Keith was able to join me at the last minute for  a quick weekend trek to the farm to visit the fam along with Gert and Harold it put a smile on my face! My Grandma heads to Virginia once a year in the summer and having a few days to catch up means a whole lot to me.

My Grandma loves the farm, seeing her crew and taking in the scenic views of scampering piglets and wandering cattle. It was so nice sitting on the porch and catching up and having Keith be a part of it. Life is busy and the six hour trek seems to get harder and more challenging. I loved watching my husband having chat time with my Grandma along with my mom and dad learning more about each other. It made my heart swell with happiness.

God did not give me the gift of farming. I can not grow vegetables. I can not properly herd pigs or cattle. I am unable to patiently sort through the day's eggs and milk supply. But I do enjoy my time here  and the beauty of this 95 acre wood. From the little piglets nibbling on fresh apples, the sheep walking along the hillside and the newborn calves scampering after their mamas for milk are all the little things that make this farm pretty special. 

I have another few days here to be one with family and nature along with celebrating my Grandmother's 93rd Birthday. Happy Birthday Grandma Gert! 

No comments: