Sunday, August 3, 2008

Heading out



It has truly been an amazing, life altering journey these past few weeks. From the streets of Olde City in Jerusalem to sipping tea in Jordan with Bedouins and then trekking through the heart of the desert in Cairo... all full and rich memories created with different faces, communities and cultures. Each time I hope on a plane and go to some new pin point on the map my eyes and heart open just a little bit more. I believe the art of travel builds character and inevitably changes you. I have to say though, out of all the places that I've been on the map (and there are many) Israel is what stands out without question. Jerusalem had a feel and level of comfort that I have yet to experience elsewhere. It sort of just 'clicked,' if you will. I have every intention of returning...
But for now...
My last night in Cairo I met up with a few other local Couch Surfers where we headed to the Felucas, local river boats, and headed down the heart of the Nile. Cairo experiences a new level of life and energy when the sun sets. And you gain a completely enlighteni
ng experience of the importance of family, friends and community when going out of the realm of touristic Cairo and swing by local parks & the base of the river.
I have a layover tomorrow in London for a good portion of the day. My hope is to relax a bit, catch the tube, walk around a bit, grab some fish & chips with a pint and head on home to the States. How about that for an ending?

No comments: