Monday, August 4, 2008

Mind the Gap : )



I arrived in London a few hours ago and headed to the Leicester Square area to walk around a bit and soak in the atmosphere. It was quite a transition going from near 100 degrees in Cairo to the lower 70s in London. So there's no chance of darkening the tan today. Overcast and a chill in the air, but after all it is London. A part of me wishes I'd spent a night or two here to take in a few shows. I was wincing as I passed advertisements for the Royal Shakespeare Company productions at the Globe. The Globe is situated near London Bridge and overlooking the Thames River. There is truly nothing like seeing a summer production at the Globe with a blackened sky above and torches placed around the stage to provide light. How I would love to be a groundling! But, it will have to wait for my next stop into London.

Upon returning to the States I plan on posting via blog fairly consistently. I'm hoping to strengthen my ties with the area Couch Surfing community as well as hosting others from around the globe. Every encounter with a new CSer and each step outside of my 'comfort zone' provides further insight into new cultures and people.

I say to you, take that step and go beyond the realm of complacency or maybe what we too often define as normalcy and embrace the people and things around you with open arms and an open heart. You don't have to travel the world to dive into the core of things. The world is pretty massive, but when you take a closer look it isn't really as large as it seems.

No comments: