Friday, August 1, 2008

From sandy beaches to crazy Cairo

I arrived a little over an hour ago to Cairo. It is a sharp contrast to the serenity and endless white beaches of Nuweiba. After stepping off the bus it was smog, traffic and a whole lot of playing frogger to get from one side of the street to the other. But I'm born and raised Jersey & I think I represented fairly well. Tomorrow I am meeting a tour guide I was connected with via the tour agent at the beach. My goal is to head to the Egyptian museum and later the Bazaar (a well known market area). The Pyramids are on my list for Sunday and I hope to take a horseback ride out to the area with my guide.
The bus ride here was near ten hours and besides the fact I've never been able to say, 'wow, we really came close to hitting that camel' and nearly swerving off a cliff in the process. But here safely. Over seventy people in a bus with limited ac and an overabundance of body odor. There was a moment when I considered pleading with the driver to allow me to sit strapped on the roof. I think that hit when we were literally off roading on the side of a non-existing road and I had a long sleeve shirt wrapped around my face to avoid sucking in any more sand into my lungs. Hello, Cairo.
But I'm maintaining positive self talk for the few days ahead. Pictures and blue skies of Cairo shall be posted tomorrow. Ciao!

No comments: