Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Goin' to Carolina in my medulla oblongata


I've been in Carolina since Friday with the intention of spending two nights and it seems my stay extends as I continue to bump into old friends on the island. On Saturday I spent the day hanging with some friends who were running a surf clinic through Nags Head Church for kids of all ages. The water was a tad on the 'refreshing side' and the waves were equivalent to the ripples one might find in a toilet, but it was fun for them nonetheless. Having kids 'stoked' about something in life is so critical to avoid boredom and ultimately getting into things they just shouldn't be involved in. This was the 10th anniversary of Hukilau Surf Camp and over the years hundreds of kids have been exposed to the concept of surfing. What I think is so awesome is that not only do they get a little taste of surf, but instructors get the opportunity to briefly share that there is so much more to this life then us. There is great beauty in surf. I find it totally poetic, breathtaking and I am in awe that God created something so truly epic. With that I believe it is so important to let these kids know that they too were created, have a purpose and are part of something much bigger than just what's on the surface. God is good, God is great & I truly am stoked to be able to consider myself a child of His.


Last night was fun hanging with some friends of mine in town from France. They live in Grenoble, about 4 hours via train from Paris. I had the opportunity to stay with them about ten years ago while backpacking through Europe. Since then, we've stayed in touch and re-connect when they are back in the States. I have some great pics of them, but for some reason my camera is being a tad on the obstinate side. So, next blog will come bearing some great shots of my past few days here. Until then... have an epic day.

No comments: