Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thanking, thinking, remembering

Last night I sat on my couch staring at a blank screen for some time trying to find the appropriate words to sum up my aunt's life for her obituary. That's not an easy thing to do. I used to be so much more articulate and fluid in my writing. It seems time and life threw a direct hit to that area of my life. But summing up our life in a few simple paragraphs is challenging and often comes short of depicting the individual as they rightly deserve. Blank screens unnerve me. 
But our memories are quite a powerful thing. I close my eyes I can hear my aunt's voice. In a second I can transport myself to her little apartment on Kennedy Boulevard and my senses are in full gear. Our lives are fragile and fleeting. 
So often we think we have forever. Today I remember Jared Leonard and the countless other men and women who have given their lives for our country. We are blessed to be in a part of the world where we can vote, we can speak our mind and we are free. I consider myself blessed to be an American and indebted to all who have ever worn a uniform and served this great country. Within the week it is my hope to see someone in uniform, thank them and buy them a cup of coffee or just simply thank them.
We hold back on exchanging words of encouragement for fear of seeming awkward or, just simply, holding off until 'next time.' Life is short, my friends. Say what you mean and mean what you say. I am thankful for my country. I am extremely indebted to all who serve. I love my family and take this day to not only reflect on our veterans, but the fact that my sister would have been thirty-one today; it's a hard thing to wrap my head around. I am thankful for the time we had together. Life is short. Live, laugh and love. It doesn't get any simpler than that. 

No comments: