Friday, November 16, 2012

24 hearts...24 lives


It's nothing short of a gift. As I embarked on another Drug Squad Retreat I have yet again been blown away at the experiences, growth and hearts of the kids I am so fortunate to work with. As we loaded on  a yellow bus Thursday morning bound for Virginia I observed the dynamics of the group and the beginning of their personalities coming together. Selecting the group is a challenge that evokes angst and stress due to the reality that I KNOW this WILL change the lives of each kid. Only a third who interview make it, but I am a believer in purpose, timing and the fact that these kids were chosen for a reason.


I'm in awe of watching a group of teens have the ability, so quickly, to open up about their personal challenges, heart aches, passions and the stark reality that they are determined to make a difference in life. Bam! I witnessed twenty four hearts with twenty four very different personalities begin to forge friendships that, in many cases, will go on far beyond their high school years. Life is beautiful and I feel so blessed to work with teens to the capacity that I do. I get to see eyes opening, hearts expanding and lives realigning. I am thankful for these opportunities and although my body is feeling a bit achy from the bus, sleeping on a wood floor and attempting to keep up with a heap of seventeen and eighteen year olds; I would not have it any other way.

No comments: