Friday, November 2, 2012

A heart for Niger

Friendship can be a pretty powerful thing. The older I get the more selective I am with whom I invest my time in and those I choose to surround myself with. My belief is that iron sharpens iron and I no longer have any desire to surround myself with anyone other than those who challenge, strengthen and encourage me as a person. In my opinion, there's already too much negative stuff we contend with on a daily basis in life. It may sound callous, but I don't have time for people who do not make me feel good about myself. I do not want to be a constant sounding board, therapist or dumping ground for negativity. No gracias. 
Over the past few years I have been amazed at the power of friendship and even those I may see very infrequently, due to time or distance. Friendship is an awesome thing. When I first returned to Jersey nearly nine years ago I met Deb who had recently moved to Jersey as well and was in the beginning stages of making a full transition to Niger to work at a clinic as an occupational therapist. I have always admired her heart for people, her selflessness and depth of faith in literally going to the farthest ends of the earth to serve others. 


It has been over a year since I last spent time with Deb, but this week we managed to catch up before she heads back to Niger later next month. We laughed, cried, shared stories, joys and heartaches. My heart and mind are in a state of ease and joy when I am with her. As I listened to her share of her struggles my heart ached for the things her eyes have seen. She is in her early thirties living smack dab in the desert faced with heat, language barriers, severe cultural differences and literally trying to save lives in a world (she very aptly described) that would be like transporting yourself back into the days of Moses. Poverty, malnutrition, women are viewed and treated as possessions and political instability are all part of her everyday. 
She uprooted herself from the comforts of home to go and serve others and use the knowledge she had been given in school to literally save lives as an occupational therapist. Her description of it all let my head spinning and heart aching. I wondered how she sleeps at night with the loss and heartbreak she witnesses on a daily basis. A few weeks before she left in one twenty four hour period the clinic lost 27 children to cholera. She knew each of these children; some more so than others. I listened to her daily duties, challenges and I am in awe of her and the people she serves with a passion that is unyielding. 
In lieu of the hurricane, Deb and the many other things swirling through my head this week I am left exhausted and feeling the tug to do more. I wish I had a magic wand. 
As the week has come to a close and the weekend begins with a very great sense of relief my hope is that my eyes gain a greater clarity to truly seek out those who are hurting and in need. I pray that my eyes and heart will gain a stronger sense of God's calling for me and in what ways I can be used to serve others. 
There is so much suffering and hurt in our world. It is so easy to stay in our comfort zone and not take the risk of stepping forward, reaching out our hands and hearts and doing something out of the ordinary for someone else.  I am so very grateful for friendships that challenge, sharpen and fuel me to evolve as a person. My prayer is that God will continue to open my eyes and sharpen my intuitions in working with others. I am thankful for my family, for my home, health and the million other things we so easily take for granted. I am thankful. 

No comments: